Library Tour in the land of the frozen lakes – Sellon Kirjaston


2016 was the year I traversed the great Etelä Uusimaa (Southern Newlands) in search of the promised library I had always envisioned before, during and after my arrival (late 2014) to the happiest country on earth.

Having spent the first 15 years of my career working in various academic, polytechnic and public libraries I was curious: what was one of the most progressive countries in the world doing to support knowledge growth to its population? The answer: a great deal to the mainstream users living within the metropolitan areas (read below for more details). My future writing will further discuss regional areas. Here, I will backdate my visits to deliver my first look within the Helsinki area and surrounds.

For my library buddies… it took me a while to schedule time to visit some libraries in earnest, as I had spent the first two years, making sure my family were settled into daycares/ schools/ work/ studies/ routine. After studying my Finnish language of choice (Swedish) for a year, I decided to research my love of loves, libraries. Playing tour guide was me ol’ mate Keith (from east End London), who was one of my classmates. Keith is an enthusiastic library user in Helsinki and kindly took me on a trip around the western region of Helsinki to some local libraries.


Here are some thoughts of note: The larger libraries, for example Sellon Kirjasto (Sello Library) in the suburb Leppävaara had extensive spaces for youth and children. They were indeed the focal points and blew my mind when I saw for 'the Youth': a fuseball table, pool table, chess table, sofas/TV and playstations. Books(!!), did indeed present themselves, but seemed to be an afterthought. As if to think, if someone sat down to relax, they could reach back and find a book to relax with.


Sellon Kirjasto obviously aimed their collection at music appreciators. The music section was as large as the children’s section and we all know that in Finland, children come first. The large music/ media collection, included hiring of instruments, sound-proof rooms with various instruments in, and lessons in learning instruments. 3D printers were also available along with training services. These 3D printer services, I would see duplicated in a visit 2 years later at the newly opened OODI in Helsinki Centre.
Area for youth

Me ol' mate Keith

Piano in the middle of collection spaces








A flag flying high for the independent older person, who visits libraries and just happens to want to follow up on their own health: a health check point to check blood-pressure, diabetes control, ... incontinence…(?) And why not, find a quality information source to support your findings?

One of the most valuable services I ever saw, struck me at Sellon Krjasto, as a new migrant and with a personal and professional experience in integration, was a service for official government form filling. Assistance for this in English and Arabic. The migration of asylum seekers from the Middle East have had an immense impact on Finland’s society and this service, just quietly, wanted to make my heart sing. Bang on with necessity and valuable service. Beautiful!

Other points of note, which one might be able to duplicate elsewhere, if one was motivated and felt valued, would be:
·         Language cafes, specifically for refugees and
·         one for non-refugees,

While completely impressed with Sello, I couldn’t help feel a twinge of something missing, down in my elbow of Finland. Stay tuned for more…