It’s not the end of the word but I can see it from here

Blue blinding skies leaping out to the horizon.
The only canon for my survival.
What beautiful weather we have here
as I rotate 360 and another trip round.
Look on the earth the rubble and the ruins,
The brittle bricks all broken and burnt by the sunny sun
Which we all celebrate on the run.

The mistaken romantic imagery of a ghost town,
in the outbound back of beyond.
Kanowna. Image from tripadvisor.ie 











Once a thriving gold mining hub,
All I see is a mockery of the song.
Of the cult-ur-al iden-ti-ty,
Of man’s proud virility.
Sharred, weathered, dulled chunks of glass
Hinting at the lively jostling past.
The old beer bottles of an era gone full throttle.

I can barely make out a footprint of a single old brick building.
The golden era given the mystery of theatre
Becomes lost on the irritable teenager
Standing disconnected by their folks’ vehicle,
One hundred years removed.

The distance though,
The empty significance flows,
Whipping silently across my face and legs.
Sharp icy winds encircle me and push at me,
Stumbling across the broken, crumbled artefacts,
Stretching between me and time. 

© Nathalie Sallegren